“This is a traditional bread enjoyed in Switzerland on Sundays for breakfast.”
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 cup warm milk
- water as needed
- 3/4 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Place flour into a bowl, creating a small hole in the center. Sprinkle salt around the edge and place yeast and sugar into the hole.
- Mix egg and egg white together in a 2-cup measuring cup. Add enough water to reach the 1 1/4 cup mark. Stir in milk. Add melted butter. Pour into the center of the flour. Mix thoroughly, adding more milk or flour as needed until dough is smooth and elastic. Cover the bowl with a damp cloth and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Cut dough in 1/2. Form each 1/2 into a long roll. Lay rolls out in front of you on a work surface in an ‘X’ shape. Braid bread by constantly switching the ends. Place bread onto a baking sheet, cover with a damp cloth, and let rise for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Brush bread with beaten egg using a pastry brush.
- Bake in the preheated oven on the middle rack until golden, about 30 minutes.
source : allrecipes.com