“Kid-friendly red bell peppers stuffed with ground turkey and quinoa.”
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 pound ground turkey
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 12 mushrooms, chopped, or more to taste
- 1 (24 ounce) jar tomato sauce, or more to taste
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 8 large red bell peppers – tops, seeds, and membranes removed
- 1 (8 ounce) package shredded Cheddar cheese, or to taste
- Bring water and quinoa to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until quinoa is tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add turkey and season with salt and pepper; cook and stir until turkey is no longer pink, 5 to 7 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Transfer cooked turkey mixture to a large bowl. Add cooked quinoa, tomato sauce, and tomato paste. Stir well; add additional tomato sauce as needed, until filling has the consistency of a casserole.
- Arrange red bell peppers in a baking dish and spoon an equal amount of filling into each.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes. Remove from oven and top each stuffed pepper with Cheddar cheese. Continue baking until cheese is melted, about 10 minutes more.
source : allrecipes.com