- 2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 (5 pound) prime rib roast, bones removed
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons cracked black pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Prep :
- Cook :
- Ready In :
- Sprinkle salt over entire roast and wrap with plastic wrap. Refrigerate, 4 hours to 24 hours.
- Combine olive oil, black pepper, garlic powder, rosemary, thyme, onion powder, paprika, and cayenne pepper together in a bowl. Set aside for flavors to blend, at least 1 hour.
- Pour most of the oil mixture over the roast and massage into the top and sides of meat. Flip the roast and pour remaining oil mixture over roast and massage. Place roast on a plate and refrigerate, 1 hour to 12 hours.
- Preheat smoker to 225 degrees F (110 degrees C) to 230 degrees F (107 degrees C). Add hickory or pecan wood chips to smoker.
- Insert an oven-safe meat thermometer into the thickest part of roast. Place roast into the smoker and roast until internal temperature reaches 145 degrees F (63 degrees C), 3 to 3 1/2 hours.
- Preheat an oven to 500 degrees F (260 degrees C) to 550 degrees F (288 degrees C).
- Bake the roast in the preheated oven until crust is crunchy, produced a reverse sear, 15 to 20 minutes. Allow roast to rest 10 to 15 minutes before slicing.
source : allrecipes.com