- 2 lb.green beans, trimmed
- 1 tbsp.extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 tbsp.slices bacon, cut into 1/2″ pieces
- 1/4 c.all-purpose flour
- 3 c.whole milk
- 1 tsp.Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp.garlic powder
- 3 c.shredded cheddar, divided
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 c.French’s fried onions
- 2 tbsp.freshly chopped chives
Prep Time : 0 hours 10 mins
Total Time : 1 hour 0 mins
- Preheat oven to 350°. Prepare an ice bath. In a large pot of boiling water, add green beans and cook until bright green, about 6 minutes. With a slotted spoon or tongs, quickly transfer green beans to ice bath to cool, then drain and transfer to a large bowl.
- In a large, high-sided skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Cook bacon until crisp, 8 minutes. Remove bacon from skillet and drain on a paper towel lined plate.
- Over medium heat, whisk in flour and cook until lightly golden and no longer raw, about 2 minutes.
- Add milk, Worcestershire, and garlic powder and bring up to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Let mixture thicken slightly, about 2 minutes, then whisk in 2 1/2 cups cheddar until completely melted. Season with salt and pepper and remove from heat.
- Combine green beans and cheese sauce in a medium baking dish. Top with remaining cheddar and bake until warmed through and bubbling around the edges, about 20 minutes.
- Top with bacon and fried onions and bake 5 minutes more.
- Garnish with chives before serving.