- 6 skinless, bone-in chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, or any other dried herbs of your choice
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1-1/2 cups long grain white rice
- 1-1/2 cups low-sodium, fat free chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups hot water
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
Preheat oven to 350F.
Season chicken thighs with paprika, dried thyme, garlic powder, salt and pepper; set aside.
Add butter to a large oven-safe skillet and melt over medium heat.
Stir in diced onions and garlic; cook over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes, or until garlic is lightly browned, stirring VERY frequently. DO NOT burn the garlic.
Stir in rice; stir constantly for 30 seconds.
Place prepared chicken pieces over rice, and add the chicken broth and water.
Season with Italian Seasoning and oregano, and bring to a boil. (You can also add more salt and pepper at this point, if desired.)
Cover skillet with a lid or aluminum foil and transfer to preheated oven; bake for 30 minutes.
Remove lid or foil and continue to bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed.
Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes.
Remove chicken from the pan and fluff up the rice with a fork.
Garnish with parsley and serve.