- 1 3/4 cups buttermilk
- 12 ounces dried Calimyrna figs, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups white whole-wheat flour (such as King Arthur(R))
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 (2.45 ounce) package sliced almonds
- 3 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon orange-vanilla flavoring (such as Fiori di Sicilia(R) (optional)
- Cook :
- Ready In :
- Gently heat buttermilk and figs in a saucepan over medium-low heat until softened, 10 to 15 minutes; set aside until cool.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a tube pan.
- Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt together in a bowl.
- Beat eggs in a large bowl with an electric hand mixer on high for 1 minute. Add fig-and-buttermilk mixture, bread crumbs, butter, almonds, orange marmalade, orange zest, and orange-vanilla flavoring to the beaten eggs; beat on low speed until blended. Gradually add flour mixture while beating until just incorporated into a batter. Spoon batter into prepared pan. Grease a sheet of aluminum foil; use to cover pan.
- Bake in preheated oven until firm and pulling away from sides of the pan, about 2 hours. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan.
source : allrecipes.com